Thursday, March 15, 2018

Sir William Russell

The Crusade - Episode 2 The Knights of Jaffa


Ok. Recons are tough. And I started this one late at night. So you're get an amalgamation of my future and past selves thoughts on this episode. As for past self's thoughts on all this, recons are hard.

I suppose more should be said. Like did that one guy have a scar last episode, or is he a new character? I watched it this morning and I don't recall. Also, it's like stepping into the twilight zone, the 1960s being more progressive then modern times. Well in some areas. Fine, it's just nice to see that Muslims or middle easterners aren't evil terrorists in fiction. They're just lazy stereotypes. Saying that out loud, I realize that while not depicting a group of people as murders is technically better, it's just white dudes in brown-face. So...yeah, still pretty not good.

The Doctor manages to double talk his way out of being a thief, and Barbara is kidnapped. I am increasingly confused throughout the episode if there are two merchants or just one, it perhaps doesn't help that I wasn't paying 100% attention. I would say this is a breather of an episode from the last one. Now that everyone is in their established place, we can take a moment to then change places all over again. I will say I do enjoy that neither side is evil, or the badguy in this conflict. It's something I've noticed with this era of Doctor Who, a willingness to perceive things from a different point of view.

But enough of that rambling. Onto the next episode.

The Wheel of Fortune.

[insert Wheel of Fortune joke here]

No comments:

Post a Comment